- Quinnipiac Athletics Awards Banquet Photos by John Hassett
- Quinnipiac Athletics Awards Banquet Program
- Free Video Replay
HAMDEN, Connecticut – Quinnipiac women’s indoor and outdoor track & field standout Shameal Samuels (Hartford, Connecticut) and men’s ice hockey captain Matthew Peca (Petawawa, Ontario) were honored as the 2015 Quinnipiac Athletes of the Year at the Athletic Department’s Annual Awards Banquet, hosted on Lender Court at the TD Bank Sports Center Sunday evening.
Matthew Peca – Men’s Ice Hockey
- Scored seven goals while dishing out a team-high 29 assists for 36 points to become just the fourth All-ECAC Hockey First Team selection since Quinnipiac joined the league in 2005-06.
- He is also one of four players in the team's history to reach 30 points in each of his four seasons at Quinnipiac.
- In his time at Quinnipiac, he scored 42 goals and assisted on 101 more for 143 career points.
- He became just the fourth player in program history to record 100 career assists and finished his career ranked sixth in career points.
- He also led a senior class that compiled 97 wins over a four-year career – the most for any senior class in program history. In addition, over his final three seasons, Peca led Quinnipiac to 77 wins – the most among all NCAA Division I team in the nation.
- He was also part of a senior class that competed in three consecutive NCAA Tournaments and a 2013 NCAA Frozen Four appearance in which the Bobcats lost in the National Championship Game.
- On Apr. 2, he signed a two-year contract with the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning and made his professional debut with the AHL's Syracuse Crunch on Apr. 3, 2015.
Shameal Samuels – Women's Indoor & Outdoor Track & Field
- The 2015 MAAC Most Outstanding Women’s Indoor Track Performer, Shameal Samuels finished up the most impressive single-season in Quinnipiac track and field history.
- Samuels swept the sprint events with victories in the 60m, 200m and 400m at the MAAC Championships
- Won the 400m at the New England Championships, breaking a 27-year-old meet record in the process
- After an incredible indoor season, Shameal Samuels continued her success with a stellar outdoor campaign in which she set new program records in the 100m, 200m, and 400m events.
- She is also recently coming off a medal performance in the Mount SAC Relays out in California as she placed 5th overall in a field that featured competitors from the likes of Duke, Central Florida, and Colorado.
- Samuels is the first Bobcat to ever compete in the Mt. SAC Relays and is attempting to become the 2nd Quinnipiac track and field student-athlete to compete in the NCAA Regionals.
- Earlier today, she won the 200 Meter Championship and finished 2nd in the 100 Meter
2014-15 Quinnipiac Athletics Team Most Valuable Players
- Dance Fusion: Lydia Morales
- Kickline: Jessica Zaczek
- Dance Company: Francine LaCasse
- Sideline Cheer: Alyssa Marino
- IceCats: Alexa Roland
- Pep Band: Michael Stasik
- QU Spirit Group: Liam Kenney
- Katie Vashon Sports Information: Robert Dery
- Male Student Athletic Trainer: Marc Drobenko
- Female Student Athletic Trainer: Bailey McPherson
- Men’s Strength & Conditioning: Zaid Hearst
- Women’s Strength & Conditioning: Shannon Durkin
- Men’s Cross Country: Brendan Copley
- Women’s Cross Country: Niame Ashe
- Field Hockey: Megan Conaboy
- Women’s Rugby: Shannon Durkin
- Men’s Soccer: Borja Angoitia
- Women’s Soccer: Natalia Grodzki
- Men’s Basketball: Zaid Hearst
- Women’s Basketball: Samantha Guastella
- Acrobatics & Tumbling: Taylor Johnson
- Men’s Ice Hockey: Matthew Peca
- Women’s Ice Hockey: Morgan Fritz-Ward
- Women’s Indoor Track & Field: Shameal Samuels
- Women’s Outdoor Track & Field: Shameal Samuels
- Baseball: Vincent Guglietti
- Softball: Nikki Barba
- Women’s Golf: Nicole Scola
- Men’s Lacrosse: Michael Sagl
- Women’s Lacrosse: Kyra Ochwat
- Men’s Tennis: Jonas Kuwert
- Women’s Tennis: Jacqueline Raynor
Student-athletes, parents and fans can download the QU Athletics schedules to your laptop and mobile devices for free by clicking in the iCalendar link at the bottom of each sport's homepage or the master schedule page. Please visit www.QuinnipiacBobcats.com or follow the Bobcats via social media on Facebook (www.facebook.com/QUAthletics); Twitter (@QUAthletics); YouTube (www.youtube.com/QuinnipiacAthletics); and Instagram (QuinnipiacAthletics).